The Western Ghats Portal team is happy to present the Observation Interface - a biodiversity observation recording module. This is a citizen science initiative, where users can upload species observations; collaboratively identify species; and contribute to enriching our understanding of biodiversity. The objective is to crowd source biodiversity information from scientists, amateurs and naturalists dispersed across various geographies.
Here is how one can contribute:
- Have an observation with a photograph to share
- Upload a photograph/many photographs of one species
- Choose an associated creative commons license for the photograph/s
- Provide a species name, if known - or get help for identification from a wider community
- Mark the location of the observation
- Write some notes on the observation
The community can agree with the species identification or suggest a different species name; comment on the observation and can interact amongst their facebook networks. The crowd sourced information through the Observation interface will be curated for developing species pages and distribution maps, collectively enhancing our understanding of biodiversity.
We request you to be a part of building up an open access biodiversity information system.
We look forward to your active collaboration!
Western Ghats Portal Team