We can end all e-waste. Comprehensive and highquality end-of-life solutions for electronics are possible everywhere, provided two conditions are met: governments must legislate to make e-waste recycling compulsory and dumping illegal; and the cost of e-waste management must be met by electronics producers.
To eliminate the health and environmental impacts of electronics, and to maximise the resource potential in waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE, or ‘e-waste’), governments must:
1. Ban the import and export of e-waste
2. Ban the landfill and other dumping of e-waste
3. Prioritise reuse over recycling for functional equipment
4. Compel e-waste recycling
5. Enact producer responsibility to fund e-waste management and promote ecodesign
6. Enforce it – monitor actors and punish criminal activity